Saturday, August 4, 2012

Pets vs Humans

Here's a controversial statement that really shouldn't be controversial: I don't like pets.                                

I was never raised on pets. I never had a dog, cat or fish growing up, nor did I ever desire one.

This doesn't mean I hate pets, animals, or people who have pets. Everyone is entitled to whatever makes them most happy in their life, and if that means taking care of animal, God bless.

What it does mean, however, is that those same things do not appeal to me. I do not want to take care of animal. I do not want to walk it, clean it, feed it or pay its veterinary bills.

For reasons I didn't understand though, people always have negative reactions when I tell them this. A while ago, I was talking about this with some girls who had pets. They said some girls connect guys who don't like pets with guys who don't like kids. Which I think is ridiculous, but it leads me to a second story.

I heard someone say their boyfriend said they would rather pay for a kid than pay for a pet. The girlfriend didn't understand that; I understood perfectly.

I might not like pets, but I love kids. I would like to have a few one day, and I would much rather pay for a human being than an animal. I would much rather take on the expenses of a human being that will contribute and benefit from a society, than I would like to pick up some dog poop in a plastic bag.

I've had experiences with pets. I've had friends with dogs and cats, and I'e helped families in my neighborhood with their animals while they go on vacation. None of these experiences have made me warm to the idea of having a pet of my own.

Often I feel like I'm in the minority, and I very well could be. I like animals in the wild, but I don't like domestic ones. My distaste for pets doesn't make me a terrible person. My actions make me a terrible person. That's how we should judge people, on their actions.

So that's where I stand, humans over pets, every time.

No comments:

Post a Comment