Thursday, August 23, 2012

Let's See How This Goes

I have wanted to be a writer ever since the eighth grade. That was when I first attempted to a novel. I filled up an entire notebook before writing myself into a corner and letting the project fall by the wayside. I have made many attempts since. I have what I believe to be many strong beginnings, but I lack any complete stories.

I took one class in high school and three in college focused on creative writing. The writing I did in those classes was valuable experience, but I was never able to write anything more than ten or fifteen double spaced pages. This does not a novel make.

The other day my mother came home with this book:
First picture in a while, how exciting!
Typically, I scoff when I come across these kind of books in the bookstore. I have a hard time believing there is any secret formula to writing a novel. Either you have the ideas and drive to do to write, or you do not.

But I have an idea for a story that I think could be promising, and I don't want it to slip away. That, accompanied with the fact I just finished the book I was reading for fun, have driven me to pick this up and see what happens.

I began reading it last night; just the first couple of pages to get a feel for what direction it headed in. Here is what I have garnered so far:

  • The biggest piece of advice Melander has given so far is: Writers write. (Fair enough, I say)
  • The book is written to give advice to people seeking to write both fiction and non-fiction. (For the record I am writing fiction)
  • While I do not agree with all here theories and pieces of advice about writing, there are some very good inspirational quotes from established writers. (My favorite so far: You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club. —Jack London)
  • The book is written in a way that is trying to mimic a marathon training guide (hence the title). I am curious to see how long before that becomes an annoyance.
  • Also annoying, the author's insistence on implanting a character named "Molly McAuthor," a stand-in to represent any author.
  • The title of the book is a little deceiving. While the cover would have you believe that a book can be written in 26 days, Melander does not include the two weeks to a month training period.
My plan is to earnestly follow whatever this book tells me to do and see how it goes. This blog won't be turning into me writing about writing, but I will give periodic updates (if I feel like it).

Good hunting.

No comments:

Post a Comment