Wednesday, August 1, 2012

I'm just going to blog a lot about nothing from now on...

I'm going to brush the dust off this blog and give it another go. Mostly because it is good to get things out of my head and onto a page whether real or digital. Also, because the state of my life right now is, how do I put this, not as positive as I would have hoped it to be in August of 2012 back in May of 2012, I'm hoping this will give me a little direction.

Let's begin with what happened to me earlier today. I was watching the Olympics (I've been doing so since I got home on Monday at 10:30 a.m.). Specifically, I was watching women's water polo. Now I love all the Olympic events, but what I love best is the sports I really only get to see televised every four years. That's why I became super addicted to curling during the 2010 Winter Olympics in Vancouver.

This year I was planning on following the shooting competitions (skeet, rifle, archery, etc.) and posting it on my other blog. (What? This guy has two blogs? Yeah, it's about as sad as it sounds.) The problem though was figuring out how to watch these events. Everything is available on NBC.com, but I need my computer to help find a job, so that wasn't going to cut it.

Instead I've been switching between NBC, NBC Sports Network, and MSNBC for my Olympic daytime coverage. Now the nice thing about NBC holding off on the swimming and gymnastic coverage until primetime is that 1) I can avoid watching those events, and 2) I get to see all of the obscure sports covered live.

Behind the shooting events I really wanted to watch badminton. Doubles Olympic badminton is the craziest thing I have ever seen. I had to watch it on Telemundo during the Beijing Olympics in 2008, and while no American team seems to be even remotely competitive on the global level, it is nonetheless mesmerizing to watch. However, despite catching a few brief moments in a bar/restaurant called Pine Isle in the Three Lakes area of northern Wisconsin on Saturday, I have been unable to find the coverage.

What I have found over the past three days though has been fantastic. It's a little tricky in the morning, but after about 10:30 a.m. - 11 a.m. stuff gets good. Number one on my list is water polo. Water polo rocks, although it will never be as big in the U.S. as it is in, say, Romania.

Why's that you ask? Don't worry I'll tell you.

America's three most popular sports are let's say: football, basketball, and baseball. (NASCAR could probably be up there too, but I don't count the South, and neither should you.) One of the things that makes these sports popular is the physical nature inherent in each of these sports. Football has guys diving for catches and smashing into each other. Basketball has guys soaring through the air for dunks. And baseball is a suspense filled guessing game of waiting to see whether or not something interesting will happen.

Water polo on the other hand has the distinct disadvantage of being played in a pool where 3/4's of the players bodies are submerged. It's a simply a mess of bodies that are impossible to distinguish from one another. They keep talking about this one U.S. woman player who scores a lot, but I can never figure out which one she is because they only wear numbers on their swimming caps. Do you know how small those numbers are? Crazy small.

But here's why I love it. As much as Americans hate soccer, the one thing that sport gets right is a running clock. The running clock is more or less utilized in a similar way in water polo with penalties taken on the fly without stopping play completely. Also, unlike soccer, there is a fair amount of scoring, but with a goalie in place the game play becomes more comparable to hockey. It's fast paced, aggressive and Americans are doing pretty well in it, despite most of the U.S. population not really caring.

(Olympic question posed by my friend Jon: Are water polo players bigger bro's than LAX players? Things to consider.)

I also watched field hockey for the first time ever, and in all honesty didn't really enjoy it. I'll stick to watching it on the ice rather than on a damp blue turf field framed in bubblegum, thank you. That being said, the U.S. women are doing pretty well and I will continue to support them.

Other U.S. women teams doing well: soccer, indoor volleyball and basketball. The U.S. women's soccer team has been amazing to watch. They actually make the game enjoyable. Indoor volleyball has also been surprisingly entertaining. Did you know the U.S. women's indoor volleyball team is ranked
 number one in the world? I didn't, but they are certainly showing me why they are. The men are right there with them taking on some good teams and pulling out the wins.

Oh, and as expected, basketball (men and women) are dominating, cause we're the BEST! AROUND!

But back to what I was originally intending for this post to be about.

While watching the U.S. women's water polo take on Spain toda,y I saw Spain go on a breakaway and score. A breakaway. In water polo. In a pool. Swimming. I never even thought that could happen. So I posted a tweet (follow me @cswiets) about my astonishment, because that's one of the things you tweet about when you're unemployed and watching water polo on a Wednesday afternoon.

My friend Jordan (follow him at @jnip11, but don;t you dare start reading his blog) pointed out that Water Polo Break Away (TM) would be a good band name. I agreed and have now trademarked it making me the sole owner of said name.

I think of good band names a lot, but the sad thing is I will never be a band. I have pretty much zero musical talent with any instrument and my vocals are mediocre at best (although in today's music industry that might be good enough - ZING!). I think the best thing to do with a good band name is fictionalize them in a story, get that story published and make sure people read it. Then some kid who has a crappy garage band will read the book and steal the name. Therefore allowing me to have my cake, and eat it too.

1 comment:

  1. Dude. You watch water polo? Its like soccer in slow motion. SMH. (jnip11.wordpress.com, since you are too rude to give my blog credit)

    ReplyDelete