Friday, August 3, 2012

Marriage

This past weekend a friend of mine from high school got married. He wasn't the first guy from our class to get married, but he was the first guy who I actually spent time with in high school. Others guys who had gotten married were simply passing acquaintances, people I knew existed but didn't really interact with. This was the first guy I knew who was my age that I interacted with on regular basis. We weren't super close friends, I've only seen him once or twice after we graduated. But when I saw his wedding photos pop up on Facebook this week, I realized something.

I'm still very young.

When I was a kid (and by kid I mean pretty much my entire life before entering college) I thought I had a good life plan. Go to college, find a girl I would marry, get out of college with a job, and marry her soon after. Upon entering college, I quickly realized life doesn't really work like that.

You know what else life doesn't work like? Television. I watch a lot of it. Television would lead me to believe that people typically get together in May, get engaged the following May, and then get married the May after that. Again, a little age has shown me that this isn't really a typical scenario for most people, nor should it be.

Right now I am a 22 (almost 23) year old who stills feels like a 16 year old, and when I was 16, I still felt like I was 12 (I'll let you do the math to calculate how old that makes me).

What I'm trying to say is that getting married now, or in the next year or two is something I cannot even fathom right now.

I'm going to attribute that to the overall general lack of direction in my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment