Wednesday, August 8, 2012

An Open Letter to NBC

Dear NBC,

You have a problem.

Scratch that. You have many problems, but I am only going to focus on two of them. One problem has only cropped up recently, while the other has been plaguing you since Friends went off the air.

The first is your Olympic coverage; the second is your dismal prime-time ratings during the regular season.

I don't mean to heap on the criticism of the Olympics, because I have been enjoying them thoroughly. Time delayed broadcasts aside, I have loved every live event I have watched. Not to mention the genius choice of having Doc Emrick commentate the U.S water polo matches.

However, that enjoyment is hindered every time I see a promo for Matthew Perry's new sitcom during every commercial break. Same thing with The Voice. Same thing with Revolution. Same thing with Animal Doctor or whatever you are deciding to call it.

Don't get me wrong I love Matthew Perry, and I'm game for any new high concept sci-fi show looking to fill the Lost hole in my viewing schedule. And yes, I understand the strategy of trying to promote your new shows while the entire country is tuned into your network. No one will fault you for that. That's a solid marketing strategy.

What I don't understand is why you are only promoting your new shows, and the only show you air that is already a ratings hit.

Now I don't watch The Voice, and I most likely never will. Showing a promo of four judges leaping on a button isn't any more likely to encourage me to tune in.

You have some shows that are seriously struggling to garner a viewership. Good shows like Parks and Recreation and Community. Shows that could really benefit from some exposure during the Olympics. Where are the promos with the premiere dates for these shows? Where are clever, Olympic related ads featuring their cast members?

These shows deserve a chance to prosper from the Olympics as much as the new shows. Your chief complaint is that some of your shows aren't broad enough to reach a large audience. Well, nothing is broader than the Olympics. It's a staple in almost every possible realm: sports, pop-culture, business, advertising, patriotism, etc.

Everyone is glued to NBC right now, and with a couple of weeks to fill between the end of the Olympics and the beginning of the fall TV season, viewers might take the opportunity to catch up with a series on Netflix or Hulu before a new season premieres. I mean, just look at what that strategy did for Mad Men. It's fifth season returned to its highest ratings ever after a prolonged absence. But what happened during that absence? All four seasons became available on Netflix.

Coincidence? I think not.

Believe in yourself NBC. You can't bring back the 90's, but you can try and improve the 10's.

Sincerely,
The Narrator

No comments:

Post a Comment