Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Brainstorm: What does Chirstopher Meloni do next?

Yesterday it was announced that after 12 seasons Christopher Meloni revealed he would not be returning to  Law & Order: SVU. While many are questioning who will replace Meloni, and even some wondering whether the show will be able to survive without him, I think it's time for someone to offer Meloni some new job opportunities.

Meloni is best known for his roles on SVU as well as a role on the HBO prison drama Oz. I know Meloni mostly from SVU, and during his time on the show he has done little other outside work. He did however guest star on one episode of Scrubs as a pediatrician.
That's just a small taste of what is a very good comedic performance from Meloni. However if you are familiar with some of his other work outside of television, you also know he had a part in the cult comedy Wet Hot American Summer as a deranged chef working at a kids summer camp. WHile not a main character, Meloni steals every scene he's in and gives some of the films most memorable quotes.
(If you haven't seen it, I highly recommend it.)
This got me thinking that it would be wrong to just go ahead and stick Meloni in another drama. Undoubtedly he wants to pursue film roles, or perhaps something more family friendly. Here are some ideas on where it would be fun to see Meloni pop up next fall.

NBC
Community  - The season ended with the study group yet to pick a class they would all take together next year. Personally I thought this season suffered a little without a Senor Chang type professor. Sure we got John Oliver as Professor Duncan, but I prefer it when his character interacts with the group in indirect ways, rather than forcing them together in a classroom. Meloni could play a recurring professor, someone who didn't need to get directly involved in the other characters plotlines, but someone who could fit in nicely with the rest of Greendale's oddball characters.

Parks and Recreation - This season ended with Leslie contemplating a run for mayor of Pawnee. While Amy Poehler has openly stated she would like Bill Murray to play the mayor of Pawnee (and for the record I would love to see this happen). However the likelihood of Murray coming on for more than one episode, or coming on at all, seems slim. Meloni would be a great mayor, since he can play both genuine nice guy and menacing bad guy. He could be the perfect two face character that would again not need to appear in every episode, but would be available when needed for story purposes.

ABC
Cougar Town - Admittedly, I like this show, and many people have simply written off because of the title. Let me assure you that the show has moved beyond its original premise, and is easily as funny as the two shows I have listed above. However, if there is one thing the show is missing, it's a little diversity (and no, Andy being Cuban doesn't count). I imagine Meloni coming on as a flamboyant gay neighbor who moves into the cul de sac. Again this would not require him to be in every episode, and I couldn't seem him permanently joining the cul de sac crew. I imagine him more like the character of Barb, who pops up at random times to throw out  great one liner.

FOX
Fringe - Meloni has already done the police bit, so making him a part of the Fringe Team wouldn't be much fun. I'd rather see him play a character that is a companion to the mysterious Sam Weiss. Someone who knows more than the Fringe team does about the parallel universes. I mean someone's got to help bring Peter back right? Might as well be Meloni.

Other ideas
You may notice I left off CBS. I don;t really watch anything on CBS but How I Met Your Mother, and I can't (read don't) want to see Meloni shoehorned into that story somewhere. If nothing else, I'm sure Meloni could find a unique cable project to anchor whether it be comedy, drama, or something new entirely. I just don't want to seem him end up settling for anything.

I started watching Law & Order right as Benjamin Bratt was leaving. To me, he and Jerry Orbach will always be the ultimate L&O team, but soon after SVU came on the scene. Few characters have such great on screen chemistry as Meloni and Mariska Hargitay (and fewer still can sustain it as long as they have). Some would argue a 12 year old boy shouldn't be watching a show that prominently featured a rape case every week, but I would say they're probably right.

No comments:

Post a Comment