Sunday, June 5, 2011

Let's Get Real: Daniel Tosh is not coming to SNC

I consider myself a realist. Those who know me might mistake it for pessimism, or cynicism, but the truth is I like to try and keep everything in perspective. I try not to get too upset over things because I realize in the long run, they will be insignificant and my energy can be better utilized on other activities.  I also openly admit that I have delusions of grandeur in terms of becoming overly successful and leading an easy life once I get out of college. However I am able to recognize them as such and therefore believe that also falls into the realm of being realistic. This new series of posts will focus on applying my realistic point of view to certain events. It's a reality check, it's a way to bring people back down to earth. It's to criticize, attack, or slam people for their efforts, although it will undoubtedly seem that way. I apologize in advance.

Over the last few days an event has kept popping up on my newsfeed as some of my college friends began RSVPing for it. The event was for the students of my college to organize and submit a video to send to Daniel Tosh to enter into his College Invasion contest. For those of you who do not know Daniel Tosh announced he will be filming an upcoming episode of his widely popular Comedy Central show, Tosh.0 on a college campus. Students are encouraged to send in videos about why Tosh should come film at their school. From some of the submissions posted on the Tosh.0 Blog it is astounding to see how many people do not seem to have the slightest idea of what will appeal to Daniel Tosh. Take for example the Michigan State video that was an elaborate  seven and a half minute lip dub.

When has Tosh ever featured a lip dub, and when has he ever showed more then a thirty second clip of a video on his show? Why would you make a video that would take up one third of his airtime if shown in its entirety?

Now this is the link of the event. I encourage you to read it before continuing with this post. (Also from here on out I am addressing the you generally, not specifically).

First off, it's not their idea. It's Daniel Tosh's idea. They can't claim its their idea to enter a contest. That's not an idea, it's a decision.

Second its says CW14 is interested in covering it. No they aren't. Somebody might have said maybe we could cover it. The person they say said that has posted on the wall of the event, that they need to talk their boss and then they'll see what he says. No offense but he'll say no. Probably.

Third, they have no definitive date, and are trying to arrange a large student participation (on a campus that doesn't see a lot of  student participation) during a time when the campus is mostly deserted. You created an event without having a plan. Now if you had an actual plan, this would be a whole Other story. But you're jumping the gun. It's also commendable to ask people for suggestions, but this leads me to my fourth point.

They ask people to look at Daniel Tosh's favorite video so far to get ideas. Daniel Tosh isn't going to consider something that is simply a carbon copy of what someone else has done. He wants something original.

Ok those are my points about what's written on the info of the event page. Here a few more.

The contest will probably be over before we even submit a video. Tosh has been promoting this since the middle of the spring, and while he is still accepting submissions, he probably already has more than he cares to have. One more from a small catholic College in Northern Wisconsin is just going to be a drop in the bucket.

Here's my biggest point. Even if by some stretch of the imagination SNC would get selected, do they really think a college that wouldn't let a production of the Vagina Monologues be performed on campus, would let a comedian who mocks every race, religion, and gender come put on a show? No,
they wouldn't.

I want to close this post by saying a few things. First I'm a huge fan of Daniel Tosh and Tosh.0 and would be ecstatic if SNC was chosen. Again I don't mean to knock anyone for their efforts, but I also believe that it isn't fair to criticize if you don't have any ideas on how to do it better. So here are a few suggestions:

If you're going to do it, just do it. Don't wait around and try and coordinate the schedules of hundreds of people during the middle of summer.

Mention something about the girls on campus. It doesn't need to be mean, but maybe something about its hard to determine what gender someone is for most of the year because of our long winter season.

Make fun of our size, and the fact that there is little do in Green Bay. Tosh responds to people who can take themselves down a notch or to and can recognize their own inadequacies. The college that wins this contest isn't going to win because they told him how great their college was, it will be because they told him how much their college sucks. Although in a clever way.

Ok there it is, again I wish everyone the best in there efforts. If you think I'm wrong, being a dick, or have some other suggestions, throw them in the comments.

(Sorry there weren't a lot of visuals in this)

1 comment:

  1. I know its a little late on the comment but I just started reading the blog. I agree 100% with everything you just wrote. Haven't looked back on the event but its probably dead by now...

    ReplyDelete