Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Lent

I'm going to take a short break from my pop-culture musings to discuss Lent. If you are not Catholic, or are simply disinterested, do not feel obligated to read this post.

My enthusiasm for Lent began last year when, after hearing a rather rousing homily, I created a list of things that I would accomplish over Lent. These included both things that I would be giving up, and things I would be striving to do during Lent. I thought I would offer some pointers to anyone who needed them.

If you are giving something up remember a few things:
  1. Move past the candy and soda - These were fine when you were in fifth grade, but all good children must grow up. This is not to say you shouldn't give these things up, especially if you feel you over-indulge in them. However Lent should be about better yourself, so instead of just cutting out one of two things, make a broader goal of simply improving your diet, or cutting out sweets in general. bigger goals lead to bigger rewards.
  2. Keep it practical - I hear a lot of people say that they are giving up swearing for let, which I think is bullshit. First of all watch this. Second, at this point in your life, swearing is natural. it would be like trying to give up the word "the". Pointless and unrealistic. Because even if you don't swear out loud, you still have to be swearing in your head. So make sure it is something you can control, something that is tempting, but that you have the ability to walk away from for 40 days.
  3. Don't give up Facebook - At this point, no one is impressed, in fact their annoyed by anyone who says they are giving up Facebook for Lent. People who still think of Facebook as this great evil are ignorant It's a viable means of communication that is part of our everyday lives, deal with it.
Alright now here are some pointers for those of you looking to do something this Lent:
  1. Good choice - I am of the school of thought that it is better to do than to not do. Lent is all about discovering the best person you can be. you have to do something to find out who that person is. 
  2. Know your limitations - This is pretty much the same as keep it practical. Know what you can do and how you can do it. Don't say you're going to run ten miles everyday. The time it takes to do that, plus your own physical limitations will make this goal impossible. Rather set a realistic goal, something that can fit into your schedule, but something you don;t do regularly. 
  3. Try new things - This can also include trying something you haven't done in a while.
Finally, Lent is supposed to be about sacrifice. I know some of things i have mentioned may seem contradictory to that statement, but believe me anything you can keep up for forty days, that isn't part of your regular routine, is a sacrifice and a challenge.

I wish everyone good luck, and if you have some of your own pointers feel free to leave them in the comments. One of my Lenten goals will be to pick up the postings here, I've been a little slow the last week or two, so I'll try and get a few new things up as I head into spring break.

No comments:

Post a Comment