Thursday, March 17, 2011

Eat It: Sonic All-American Dogs

Eat It posts are devoted to strange, unusual, or new food options available to the general public.  This first post is devoted to Sonic's new All-American Dogs.
As I am on spring break, but am stuck in the greater Milwaukee metro area, I needed to get creative in how to spice up my vacation. One sure fire way is to try new things, but again, in an area I am very familiar with this proves difficult. So I, along with my friends John and Hugh, decided to head down to the Sonic on Miller Parkway and try their four new hot dog choices. Now we didn't each eat four hot dogs in one sitting, but we did try all four. Here are our conclusions.

The Chicago Dog: Hugh and I each tried this one. The Chicago Dog comes with a dog, relish, yellow mustard, two peppers, a slice of pickle, and a tomato sliced in half to look like two tomatoes. The main issue with this dog is that it has too much stuff in it. I couldn't even keep the pickle in (which as i write that sounds vaguely dirty). The peppers were also a problem because they were chewy, rather than crunchy, meaning you had to eat the entire pepper in one bite. This meant that all that was left on the dog was relish and mustard, which in turn meant I was left eating an overly sweet hot dog. I should also note that the Chicago Dog was the only one that came on a poppy seed bun, although this didn't add much to the flavor.

The New York Dog: The New York Dog is served on a plain bun, with grilled onions, sauerkraut, and spicy mustard. The main issue with this dog was the mustard, there was simply too much of it. As a recent convert to mustard in general (I've had a strong aversion to it until just this last year) there are still some circumstances where I do not enjoy it, hot dogs being one of them. I'm much more of a ketchup guy. I couldn't really taste anything else.

The All-American Dog: The only one to come with ketchup, as well as mustard and relish. Hugh and i made John eat this one. He claimed it was the best, but it was also the most traditional, so I can't image there are too many ways to screw it up.

The Chili-Cheese Coney: Again we made John eat this one, he said there was a lot of cheese, and that he liked cheese, so it was good. I have never had a chili-cheese dog before, and didn't intend to start at Sonic. So you'll have to take John's word for it.

So there you have it, four hot dogs that are varying degrees of mediocrity. Try at your own risk.

Join me next time when I try the Ego Breakfast Pizza with Strawberries and Granola. it's gonna be a treat.

No comments:

Post a Comment